Christian Service Hours Due on March 5, 2021
Christian Service hours for this school year are due on March 5, 2021.
In June, we notified students, and shortly after, parents, that we modified this year’s Christian Service requirements. Modifications include:
- Reduction of service hours for all grades;
- Flexibility for students to complete their hours at as many or as few organizations as needed;
- Option to complete service hours at home or in person as long as work is in partnership with non-profit organizations; and
- Suspended “activities probation” for students who complete hours after the deadline.
Christian Service Goals in the time of COVID-19
- Continue to require service as an educational vehicle to increase awareness of the disparity within our local and global communities.
- Engage in service (either in-person or remotely) that encourages students to connect with others as a transformative practice. Service is an exchange of time, talents, and experiences that enable students, and those they serve, to grow in their understanding of themselves and society at large.
Service Hour Requirements are as follow:
- Grade 9: 5 hours of service
- Grade 10: 10 hours of service
- Grade 11: 15 hours of service
- Grade 12: 20 hours of service
Accessing Service Opportunities
Students can access Christian Service resources and opportunities in two places:
- Schoology Class Mascot Page: Open the Campus Ministry folder, and then open the Christian Service folder. The folder contains information regarding this year’s requirement, the MobileServe start-up guide, links to area food banks, list of pre-approved service organizations, and a few at-home service opportunities.
- MobileServe App: Tap the menu (three stripes in upper right corner), select the Opportunities tab, select Discover, and tap Search. Not all options are available to students under the age of 18. Some opportunities are in-person, and others are virtual.
If students have service questions, encourage them to contact Ms. Villanueva, the Campus Minister for Christian Service, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit a Special Permission Request Form to get pre-approval for service opportunities that to meet the SFHS service requirement but are not already listed.
This week, we still have about 50 freshmen who need to set up their MobileServe account properly. If your daughter is one of those students, (they have been notified by Campus Ministry and will be contacted by Mrs. Anderson, their class counselor), please use this link for the set-up guide. Follow steps listed in the document.