What is IMVU?
A mature or adult content app that teens are able to use.
- IMVU is an avatar-based social media app where users create custom 3D avatars, and use them to chat with strangers. It is an acronym for “instant messaging virtual universe.”
- An avatar is a graphic image representing a particular person in video games, forums, etc.
- IMVU users can choose to join in random chat rooms or 3D Live rooms
- “Friend Matcher” matches users with strangers based on each user’s set preferences such as seeking friendship vs. relationship, preferred gender, and age range
- A teen account will only give the option to select matches between the ages of 13 and 17 (no verification of actual age of user)
- Once matched, users can decide if they want to chat with that user or skip to another
- Chat rooms are online rooms where users can move their avatars around the virtual space and chat with up to 9 other users
- Anyone can create a chat room and owners can decorate the room with virtual goods
- Live Rooms are public spaces that can hold hundreds of users that can chat back and forth
- Only VIP members can create and host Live Rooms
- There are no true privacy settings for the IMVU app since every account is public, but it is important that students understand how to block/report other users or rooms within the app
- Also, consider having your daughter turn off their notifications to decrease the risk of distractions and screen time addiction